St. Ambrose Parish
St. Ambrose Parish is rich with history. By the mid-19th century, Northford and North Branford had few Catholics who attended St. Patrick or St. Mary churches in New Haven. After 1854, North Branford and Northford Catholics could celebrate Mass at the new St. Mary Parish, Branford, once every three weeks. A Mission of St. Mary Parish was soon organized, and the first North Branford Mass was celebrated at the Walsh home on February 29, 1920, by Father Thomas J. Murray. Five years later, St. Augustine mission chapel was dedicated on Route 139. In 1936, the mission became the responsibility of St. George parish, Guilford. St. Augustine was then made a parish by Bishop Maurice F. McAuliffe in 1941, with Father John J. McCarthy as first pastor. A Mission of St. Augustine was organized and the St. Monica mission chapel was blessed on June 7, 1953. The St. Augustine Chapel on Rt. 139 quickly became inadequate for the growing number of parishioners and a new church was built for St. Augustine Parish in 196 on 30 Caputo Rd. in North Branford. In September 1964, St. Monica was made a parish under its first pastor, Father Steven G. Vitka at 1321 Middletown Ave. St. Monica also became inadeqaute for the growing population and the present day church and hall were completed in 1978. St. Augustine Parish operated under the leadership and guidance most recently with Father Robert J. Rousseau (2006-2013) and Father Robert L. Turner (2013-2015). St. Monica Parish operated under the leadership and guidance of the subsequent pastors Father Stanley Nazzaro (1972-1984), Father Joseph Kaminsky (1984-1994), Father Joseph Parel (1995-2013). In 2013 St. Augustine Parish and St. Monica Parish were linked and operated under the guidance and leadership of Father Robert L. Turner (2013-2015). On January 1, 2016 St. Augustine and St. Monica Parishes were merged to form the new St. Ambrose Parish. The parish continues to be an active, vibrant institution within the community of North Branford and Northford with over 2000 families registered and we welcome all new parishioners!